Assistant Director, the Exploratorium
The Assistant Director will lead the fiscal and administrative management for Group Six (G6), a work unit charged with advancing and advocating for core Exploratorium programmatic strategies. The Assistant Director works closely with the five Group Six program leaders and coordinators. Working closely with assistant directors from other Exploratorium groups, the G6 Assistant Director develops and implements systems and processes for organizational effectiveness within G6; and provides administrative guidance at both individual and systems levels. The Assistant Director interacts with many Exploratorium staff members and external individuals and institutions. This position reports to the Associate Director of Program who works remotely more than 50% of the time.
- Create and manage the Group Six $3 million/year budget, consisting of multiple multi-year government and private grants, and dozens of project budgets.
- Work closely with program and finance budget staff in the annual budgets and forecasting, reviewing financial data on a monthly basis, and preparing reports as needed.
- Provide administrative supervision for all Group Six programs and projects, including adherence to museum institutional policies and procedures.
- Serve as Group’s administrative liaison to Organizational Development and Finance, Business Development, and as Go-To person for all Group finance and administrative questions; attend institutional meetings related to finance and financial strategy; actively participate in institutional finance activities; and create reports and generate information as requested.
- Coordinate monthly meetings for Group Six leadership team to develop long-term growth and dissemination strategies, and oversee day-to-day program management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in related field, and 5 years experience in a non-profit position of leadership and supervision, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Proven track-record managing large federal grants
- Extensive background in financial management of multiple, multi-year federal and private grants and significant organizational budgets
- Demonstrated ability developing and maintaining systems, structures, and tools for financial and administrative analysis
- Experience exercising financial judgment and strategic analysis, responding to grant, contract, or audit requirements
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan at a broad-based strategy level
- Demonstrated experience to work with staff at all levels in a complex, collaborative environment; commitment and ability to promote and sustain positive workplace values, relationships and communication
- Proven ability to prioritize and balance multiple demands in a fast-paced creative environment; highly organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent communication skills and ability to well represent programs across museum departments and to outside organizations
- Computer-savvy with expertise in the use of Excel as well as financial databases.
- Willingness to directly participate in Exploratorium programs, events, receptions that may occur outside of normal working hours
- Ability to move from place to place, work at a computer for long periods of time, use general office equipment, lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt, management position that includes benefits. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
(Please include position title as subject heading)
Exploratorium, 3601 Lyon Street, San Francisco, CA 94123
Email: [email protected]
No phone calls please