Development Director, Rooftop Films
Founded in 1997, Rooftop Films is an innovative grassroots non-profit film festival and production collective based in Brooklyn, NY. Rooftop Films has grown to become one of New York City’s leading film organizations serving over 35,000 audience members. Our mission is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showing movies in outdoor locations, teaching filmmaking to young people, and renting equipment at low-cost to artists and non-profits.
Rooftop Films has grown tremendously over the last few years, and we are looking for a Development Director to take a creative role in ambitiously expanding our budget in the coming years. The Development Director will work closely with the artistic staff and our dedicated Board of Directors to increase and maintain the budget, forge connections with individual donors, sponsors and grants organizations, and help shape the future of the organization. This is a flexible, creative position, employing a variety of skills. Applicants can come from the non-profit or for-profit worlds.
The atmosphere is exciting and creative, and there is tremendous room for growth, both for the Development Director and for the organization as a whole. The person in this position must possess excellent organizational skills, writing skills, verbal communication skills, flexibility, and the ability to work collaboratively with internal staff and external constituencies at all levels. This is a full-time, paid position, though hours can be flexible. Salary commensurate with experience.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The Development Director needs to be innovative, proactive, and driven. They must lead all aspects of fundraising, not merely follow instructions and execute renewals. As an organization that is still growing we expect the new Development Director to elevate total fundraising by a significant amount.
- Work with staff to identify program areas for funding
- Research and connect with new grant opportunities
- Push staff and board to help make connections
- Write grant proposals
- Renew existing grants
- Write grant reports
- Build and maintain relationships with funders (invites to events, etc.)
- Bring creative staff to funding meetings when necessary
- Build and maintain donor base (invites, calls, meetings, etc.)
- Identify new donors with staff and board
- Run at least two annual fundraising campaigns (letter writing, emails, personal calls, etc.)
- Manage annual fundraising event
- Build and maintain member base (call for members, special events, announcements, perks, etc.)
- Oversee the processing of memberships
- Work with executive staff to build and maintain sponsor relationships
- Write sponsorship proposals
- Work with staff to execute sponsor needs
HOW TO APPLY
We recommend you look over our website www.rooftopfilms.com thoroughly and learn about our organization then send a resume, references, cover letter and writing sample(s) to: [email protected]. Applications must be received by Monday, November 26. No phone calls or follow-up emails please.
Rooftop Films is an equal opportunity employer, and strongly encourages women and people of color to apply.