About The International Documentary Association (IDA):
The International Documentary Association (IDA) is dedicated to building and serving the needs of a thriving documentary culture. Through its programs, the IDA provides resources, creates community, and defends the rights and freedoms of documentary artists, activists and journalists.
Founded in 1982, the IDA is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to ensure that nonfiction filmmakers have access to the services and legal protections they need to successfully practice their art. Journalists, students, educators and documentary film enthusiasts also rely on the IDA’s programs and services to enhance their understanding of the art form and the subjects that are illuminated in the films.
POSITION TYPE: Exempt
POSITION HOURS: Full-Time
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Finance and Administration
POSITION PURPOSE: The Staff Accountant at the International Documentary Association (IDA) will provide support to the Director of Finance and Administration and will be responsible for managing all of the day-to-day work in the Accounting department. This includes A/P, A/R, Budgeting, General bookkeeping, and Payroll.
This important role will assist in ensuring that the right processes and controls are in place to drive our organization ahead as we grow. He/she will own their own projects, identify and address areas of improvement within our accounting function, take ownership of core operational areas, quickly master new concepts and processes, and handle job duties with excellent judgment.
● Expert knowledge and understanding of the full-cycle of A/P.
● Resolve inquiries, discrepancies, and disputes with vendors in a timely and professional
● Process, code, and enter all bills and expense reports with accuracy making sure to
cross reference to the budget.
● Responsible for enforcing IDA’s accounting policies and alerting other departments to
G/L coding errors.
● Responsible for low-moderate volume weekly Check run in its entirety including
ACH/Wire Transfer payments and coordination with remote Check signers.
● Prepare 1099-Misc and 1042 forms at year end and stay current on all federal and state laws.
● Prepare labels and maintain a filing system for all accounting department files.
● Manage and reconcile Petty Cash account and requests.
● Monitor payment terms and assure that we are taking advantage of discounts and long payment terms.
● Ensures that W-9 forms are received before processing payments to Vendors.
● Expert knowledge and understanding of the full-cycle of A/R.
● With excellent attention to detail and accuracy, enter and create Pledges for Donors and Invoices for IDA Documentary magazine ads, event sponsorship(IDA Awards), Website Advertising, Event tickets, Program ads, Newsletter ads, and Email Marketing (E-blasts).
● Prepares, creates, and enters Donor Receipts and Deposits for moderate-high volume
FSP program Donors.
● Follow-up on delinquent A/R payments at the direction of the Director of Finance &
● Provide information and reports (regular and ad hoc) including weekly A/R Aging reports to the appropriate senior staff members.
● Regularly interface with the Development department to ensure accuracy of Invoice and Pledge amounts.
● Routinely reconcile revenue for Conference, Donations, Event, Advertising, and
Membership with the appropriate departments.
● Process credit card payments and invoicing via Authorize.net.
● Monitors weekly PayPal, Intuit, Eventbrite, Authorize.net, Classy/WePay, and USA
ePay/UMS merchant accounts for Donation, Event, and Membership activity for data
entry into QuickBooks.
● May work on-site at Events as necessary to ensure revenue is properly received and
● Arrange for cash deposits to be delivered to bank.
● Expert knowledge and understanding of the full-cycle of Payroll processing and
● Process semi-monthly payroll in accordance with APA policies, federal, state, and local laws with current payroll provider, Zenefits, for <20 employees.
● Ensure paychecks are correct and processed on time.
● Analyze and reconcile quarterly payroll tax filings.
● Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
certification is preferred but not required.
● Assist with new hires, salary changes, and terminations in payroll system.
● Set-up and interface with Zenefits to ensure 401(k), Commuter Benefits, and FSA
deductions are correct.
● Monitor and maintain records for Leaves of Absence, Vacation, Holiday, and Sick time balances and ensure amounts are correct.
● Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, budget and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including overtime, doubletime, electronic timesheets, and etc.).
● Understanding and experience with processing payroll with multi-state and international employees.
● Comprehensive understanding of fundamental payroll tasks, such as paycheck
calculations, taxation principles, reporting, and journal entries.
● Ensures that annual and quarterly tax filings such as W-2, W-3, DE9, and 941 are
reconciled and correct.
● Make suggestions to improve the payroll system.
● Strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and
automated payroll accounting system.
General Accounting Duties:
● Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required and
sometimes on short notice for the Accounting department.
● Analyze current procedures and recommend changes to develop and implement best
practice accounting procedures.
● Open mail with Office Manager on a daily basis.
● Assist with journal entries.
● Assist with Budget development.
● Respond to ad hoc analytic requests from the Director of Finance & Administration.
● Maintain the Fixed Asset and associated Depreciation schedule.
● Prepare correspondence as needed within the department.
● Manage employee credit card acknowledgement forms.
● Participate in the maintenance of accounting policies and procedures.
● Assure compliance with organizational accounting policies and procedures.
● Assist Development team in reviewing contract compliance on fiscal issues to ensure
IDA meets all contractual obligations as well as draft budgets and provide fiscal
information for new grant applications and renewals.
● Implement and carry out accounting procedures according to GAAP (Generally
Acceptable Accounting Principles) and in compliance with all laws, regulatory
requirement and best practices acceptable to the organization.
● Develop and Maintain Staff Accountant procedure manual and Task Calendar List.
● Ability to perform monthly and annual closeout of books and assist with production of
● Prepare any schedules, planning, or other needs related to our annual Audit.
● Assist with monitoring and reporting of financial performance on government contracts and analysis needed.
● Prepare mailings for the Accounting Department.
● Maintains and updates the Investment Rollforward schedule.
● Assist the Director of Finance & Administration in tracking and maintaining company insurance policies.
● Ensures internal financial auditing as needed to help prepare for our annual audit and
● Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
● BA in Accounting, Business, Economics, or similar field of study is highly
desired(equivalent on the job experience will also be considered).
● Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
● Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Certification preferred but not required.
● Experience working in a Nonprofit work environment is required.
● At least 3-5 years of Fund Accounting experience required.
● Experience working within the documentary, film, or arts industry is preferred; a passion for documentary film is highly desired.
● American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers Certification(AIPB) preferred but not
● Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal
● Advanced computer skills with emphasis on all Microsoft Office Suite programs, Google apps, and Donor databases. Salesforce is preferred.
● Intermediate-Advanced Excel experience required (“IF” formulas, Pivot tables,
VLOOKUP, and etc.)
● Excellent anticipatory skills with ability to think and plan ahead.
● Enjoys working with diverse multi-functional teams.
● Commitment to personal and professional development.
● Proactive approach in taking on responsibility and willingness to pitch in and help others when necessary.
● Ability to employ critical thinking, good judgment, and maintain confidentiality of
● Demonstrated ability and willingness to assist in fiscal analysis, budget development and fiscal management.
● Must be a good writer in order to handle the occasional administrative needs of the
● Advanced experience with QuickBooks or similar accounting software required.
● Experience with PayPal, Intuit, Eventbrite, Authorize.net, Classy/WePay, and USA
ePay/UMS is a plus.
● Excellent organizational, problem-solving, project management and communication
● Must be detail oriented and outstanding at prioritizing assignments for timely completion of projects.
● Demonstrated knowledge of acceptable auditing practices and procedures.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Mastery of Email and the Internet.
● Sense of humor.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: 401(k), 100% Employer paid Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long Term Disability. Ten (10) days of vacation, six (6) sick days, twelve (12) paid holidays, five (5) paid days for winter break.
How to Apply: Submit your resume, including cover letter detailing your qualifications,
experience, and interest in Adobe PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16, 2018.
IDA is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com