StoryCorps’ Marketing & Communications (M&C) Department is a fast-paced, creative, and highly collaborative team that creates messaging and promotes StoryCorps’ mission, content, programs, products, and services to print, broadcast, and online media outlets. The goal of the M&C Department is to tell the story of StoryCorps, to advance our mission as an organization that champions empathy, compassion and listening, and to share our content with the world through distribution and media partnerships.
The Associate Manager, Digital Communications will be enthusiastic and motivated to use digital media for good. We use social media as a primary channel for bringing our mission and message to broader audiences. The Associate Manager will inform and manage editorial planning, creative messaging and sharing of StoryCorps content on digital platforms including our website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, the StoryCorps app, and other emerging channels. In addition, the Associate Manager, Digital Communications will collaborate within M&C and other departments on email marketing campaigns that drive audience and donor engagement.
The Associate Manager, Digital Communications will also work to create meaningful exchanges with online audiences supporting the efforts of the department to engage with the public via various digital channels to ensure that anyone who interacts with StoryCorps walks away with an impression that’s consistent with our brand and organizational values: every voice matters and we listen.
The Associate Manager will develop and produce compelling copy, photos, and other creative content, working when needed with StoryCorps’ graphic designer, field staff, interns, and external creative consultants including a video editor, copywriter, and Google Adwords advisor. The Associate Manager also reports on performance of social media content and campaigns, informing media planning, resource allocation and status of grant deliverables. Additionally, the Associate Manager is responsible for selection and supervision of interns, and the communication and management of relationship with Google Adwords consultant.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Experience creating marketing collateral representative of diverse voices, for diverse audiences, is strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Maintain all digital marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities for StoryCorps’ social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. This entails producing compelling written and multimedia content that is aligned to an annual communications plan, and tracks with messaging priorities and deliverables.
● Inform and manage the editorial content calendar and execute specific email marketing campaigns.
● Write, design and create online content and ensure that videos, articles and visuals are in line with institutional brand and messaging
● Keep the flagship website (storycorps.org) up-to-date with informational and editorial content in collaboration with teams across the organization; oversee projects to ensure that all content, including archival materials, is complete and error-free.
● Collaborate with the M&C, Public Information, Corporate Sponsorship and other teams on creative content generation around paid partnerships, messaging priorities and initiatives, and awareness of best practices.
● Engage with StoryCorps’ followers on a one-to-one basis with the goal of building online community, providing entry points for further engagement, and collaborating with Public Support Desk to address inquiries. Report on inquiries and trends in conversations that people are having online.
● Produce regular and one-off reporting on digital performance and share analysis on content performance and trends in engagement. This includes custom reporting for grant deliverables on content performance online.
● Apply best practices for accessibility when publishing to the web; continue to develop StoryCorps’ own learning in this area.
● Manage and curate creative assets on digital properties including YouTube channel, Facebook videos, and StoryCorps Archive homepage
● Stay up-to-date on the constantly evolving digital media and branded content landscapes.
● Perform other tasks to support the Marketing & Communications function, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Bachelor’s Degree, plus 1-2 years of professional experience with responsibilities including social media management and writing for the web. Alternatively, Associate’s Degree in Marketing,Communications, Media or Journalism. Professional experience with responsibilities including social media management writing for the web.
● Demonstrated ability to write compelling, error-free copy on tight deadlines.
● Impeccable attention to detail.
● Knowledge of and enthusiasm for digital engagement, marketing, and media.
● Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to work under deadlines, to organize information, and to handle multiple assigned tasks efficiently.
● Knowledge of HTML and content management.
● Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization.
● Commitment to diversity throughout both internal and external communications.
● Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
● Experience in MailChimp
● Video editing
● SEO and Google Adwords campaigns
● A demonstrated understanding of graphics and design on the web
● Work history in journalism or content marketing
● Experience in WordPress
● Experience in photography and Photoshop
● Proficiency on a Mac platform
● Spanish language fluency (orally and in writing)
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones –Associate Manager, Digital Communications” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org