Lehigh Valley Community Broadcasters Association is seeking an experienced leader (public media, non-profit or community leader) to serve as Executive Director of its radio station, WDIY-FM. The station, from its studios in South Bethlehem, serves the two-county Lehigh Valley area (population 660,000) with additional coverage of surrounding regions in eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey. WDIY is the Lehigh Valley’s only NPR Member Station.
WDIY Stakeholders, including our board, staff (both paid and volunteer) and community partners have developed a list of the qualities we seek in our next leader. We will consider and select from candidates who most clearly demonstrate those qualities. For more detail, please visit the full posting here.
- Fulfill the station’s mission to “engage the Lehigh Valley community through a wide-ranging exchange of music, arts, news and culturally diverse information.”
- Provide effective leadership to staff in planning and managing activities in the following areas: fund-raising (membership, underwriting, grants, events, and bequests), programming, operations, community outreach, and volunteer coordination.
- Develops the station’s strategic directions in concert with the Board of Directors.
- Develop and administer annual budgets with the support of staff, board committees, and an outside accounting firm, including submission of CPB reports, Tax forms and annual audit materials.
- Increase station revenues and control expenses.
- Set the direction of on-air fund-raising campaigns (three annually).
- Oversee and facilitate underwriting sales.
- Improve programming, grow listenership, and increase station membership.
- Create and implement strategies to attract listeners and improve visibility in new broadcast areas.
- Develop staff through mentorship, training, and ongoing evaluation.
- Oversee the recruitment and ongoing training of volunteers.
- Administer board policies and implement board-approved capital improvements.
- Develop, foster, and strengthen strategic partnerships with other community arts and civic organizations.
- Serve as the “face of the station” in representing WDIY in the local community.
- Provide timely financial and operational reports to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations impacting the station.
- As leader of a small staff, provide back up to staff, and also on-air presence occasionally on an as-needed basis.
HOW TO APPLY
WDIY is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates. For consideration, please visit the job posting and apply online here.
Apply by August 1, 2018
WDIY is an EEO/AA employer.
The Lehigh Valley Community Broadcasters Association Inc. was founded in 1984, and is the community licensee of WDIY, Lehigh Valley Public Radio. The mission of WDIY as a public radio station is to engage the Lehigh Valley community through a wide-ranging exchange of music, arts, news, and culturally diverse information. The LVCBA is led by a volunteer Board of Directors that is committed to the idea of “community public radio,” a combination of national content from NPR interspersed with a roughly equal amount of WDIY community volunteer produced programming combined into a single integrated broadcast schedule. WDIY is the sole NPR Member Station located in the Lehigh Valley.
The local programming, mainly a diverse range of music and public affairs, emphasizes local content and the station focuses on the diversity of its programming and the real voices of its community hosts to differentiate the station from other public or commercial radio stations. WDIY provides professional broadcasting training and access to the airwaves for the Lehigh Valley community, including college-level interns, and operates a Youth Media program involving and providing training in communication and radio skills to high school students.
WDIY maintains an extensive array of very active partnerships with the majority of cultural, educational and environmental organizations and festivals in the region. The station has a cash operational budget of approximately $650,000, supplemented by another $250,000 in trade partnerships. The most recent LVCBA Audit Report and Form 990 Tax Return can be viewed on the WDIY website.
About the Area
The “Lehigh Valley” is a term used to describe the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton metropolitan area, in Northampton and Lehigh Counties in eastern Pennsylvania. With a population of approximately 700,000, the Lehigh Valley is the third largest metropolitan area in Pennsylvania. The center of the Valley in Bethlehem is 55 miles north of center city Philadelphia, and 70 miles west of midtown Manhattan. The Pocono Mountain region of northeastern Pennsylvania is north of the Lehigh Valley; the Pennsylvania Dutch tourism region lies west. The area features a mix of rural countryside and modern amenities, including a high quality cultural environment and numerous nationally known institutions of higher education (four universities, four colleges, and two community colleges). The area is particularly rich culturally in the performing arts, and supports three major outdoor music festivals each year, plus the Allentown Symphony Orchestra and the Bach Choir, and the recently opened ArtsQuest SteelStacks cultural campus on the site of the former Bethlehem Steel Works. Events taking place can be viewed on our webpage at www.publicbroadcasting.net/wdiy/events.eventsmain.
Search Assistance by Livingston Associates
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://liv.jobs/98lzs →