"Interacting with Transmedia" -- A Live Google Hangout
Interacting with Transmedia
An InterActs Live Google Hangout
Hosted by NAMAC and The Daily Dot
Thursday, February 21st at 3 PM EST/ 12 PM PST
Watch the conversation live here! And join in on Twitter via hashtag #InterActs
“From video to participatory story creation, to games and alternate reality story-worlds, the way to experience stories is evolving on a daily basis…”
Kristin McCracken, VP of Digital Media at Tribeca
NAMAC and The Daily Dot are partnering to host a live Google Hangout that will bring together leading figures in a variety of disciplines to talk transmedia and assess how different disciplines are engaging audiences and expanding stories across a variety of platforms. The conversation will be moderated by Professor Henry Jenkins.
Questions of transmedia were prevalent at NAMAC 2012, where some of the most popular panels explored multi-platform projects, such as jeskiah maria ross’ people's history, Restore/Restory, and Ana Serrano’s, award-winning interactive webseries and multi-platform story, Prison Dancer.
A few weeks later, The Daily Dot hosted a similar and informative conversation with transmedia practitioners whose media properties are making big waves and astounding audiences, people like Ana Serrano and Bernie Su (of the Lizzie Bennett Diaries).
Everyone is talking transmedia. Sundance Institute offers a New Frontier Story Lab to support "artists working at the convergence of film, art, and new media technologies."
Tribeca Film Institute offers New Media Fund grants to support storytelling that makes a positive impact through multi-platform experiences. Tribeca, under the leadership of transmedia dynamos like Ingrid Kopp -- a presenter on "Interacting with Transmedia" -- continues to add strong programming initiatives towards this end.
Despite the preponderance of resources, thought leaders, practitioners, and projects taking advantage of the possibilities that technological advances introduce to storytelling, many still find themselves asking: What is transmedia?
Dig with us into this concept -- its challengs and possibilites -- live here on February 21, 3 PM EST / 12 PM PST. And contribute to the conversation on Twitter via hasthag #InterActs.
- Henry Jenkins (Moderator), USC Provost’s Professor of Communication, Journalism and Cinematic Arts; Author of Convergence Culture
- Nuno Bernardo, CEO & Founder, beActive Media
- Jo Ellen Kaiser, Executive Director, The Media Consortium
- Luisa Dantas, Director/Producer/Editor, Land of Opportunity
- Ingrid Kopp, Director of Digital Initiatives at Tribeca Film Institute
- Danielle Riendeau, Blogger for KillScreen, Instructor of Interactive Storytelling at Northeastern University, Communications Officer for ACLU-NorCal
- Marc Smolowitz, Director, Producer, Executive Producer, Documentary Filmmaker
Engage with this conversation through Twitter hashtag #InterActs. Mention panelists and organizations through these handles:
The Daily Dot: @dailydot
Henry Jenkins: @henryjenkins
Jo Ellen Kaiser: @TMCmedia
Ingrid Kopp: @fromthehip @TribecaFilmIns
Danielle Riendeau: @Danielleri @KillScreenMag
Marc Smolowitz: @marcsmolowitz @PowerOfTwoMovie
Resources to Consult:
- NAMAC Transmedia Blog Slaon
- Transmedia and the New Art of Storytelling, by Aja Romano for The Daily Dot
- Henry Jenkins' blog
- Detailed recap of TFI Interactive, a one-day event dedicated to transmedia across disciplines, held during the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
- Lessons from Designing Land of Opportunity's Interactive Web Experience