Deputy Director of Development
The Futuro Media Group is an independent non-profit media organization dedicated to producing multiplatform community-based journalism that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. Futuro Media works in the public interest – informing and educating the public about compelling narratives, real lives and important stories that are often overlooked by mainstream media.
Futuro Media seeks a seasoned development professional to help build the organization’s fundraising capacity especially in the areas of major foundation grants and individual gifts. You will identify/maintain a portfolio of top prospects, while joining and growing a fundraising effort that capitalizes on current and emerging opportunities for support. Working with the Executive Director and President/CEO and others you will conceptualize and strategize ways to connect prospective donors to the strategic fundraising objectives of the organization. Additionally, you will perform direct solicitations working collaboratively with other frontline fundraisers to enhance the potential interest of donors, evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and recommend the most suitable for a particular donor.
Demonstrated success in raising six & seven figure gifts, and experience with the multiple aspects of a comprehensive development operation essential. Requires a Bachelors' degree, advanced degree a plus. Proficiency in Raiser's Edge preferred. Must have at least 5 years of direct fundraising experience in complex organizations, preferably in a media, broadcasting or journalism setting and/or nonprofit fundraising environment in New York.
Specific job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Cultivate current and potential donors through letters of inquiry, mail, email, phone, and person-to-person solicitation with goal of securing restricted and unrestricted gifts in support of The Futuro Media Group program areas.
- Prepare written documents including major grant proposals, reports, letters, PowerPoint presentations, and other materials as required.
- Report to the Executive Director and additionally work with the President and Board level Development Committee to develop prospect lists and define cultivation strategies for new prospects and existing donors.
- Manage the grant writing and implementation process, including writing, data gathering, editing, and submission of final reports as well as monitoring grant execution;
- Coordinate the preparation of program budgets to accompany proposals and reports with the Development and Budget offices.
- Initiate and coordinate donor and prospect meetings and tours
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends at special events and to meet deadlines.
- Supervise support staff designated to development.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated success in fundraising, preferably with experience in foundation and corporate relations.
- Experience working for a media, cultural, or educational institution preferred.
- Creative and strategic thinker with superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Substantial evidence of ability to draft compelling fundraising proposals, letters of inquiry, and presentations.
- Proven ability to build constructive and effective relationships with all levels of staff, donors, prospects, volunteers, and public.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to function as a team player in a collaborative environment.
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with ability to prioritize, organize, and work independently and efficiently on multiple concurrent projects.
- Meticulous and consistent in matters of accuracy, presentation, and attention to detail.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge donor tracking software (or comparable) preferred.
- Writing samples required.
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
Cover letter stating qualifications, resume, references and salary history must be submitted by the deadline of March 1, 2012 to be considered for this position. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) via email with the subject “Development” to The Futuro’s strategic consultant overseeing this search: [email protected] Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The Futuro Media Group is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and background to apply.