ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Futuro Media Group is an independent non-profit media organization dedicated to producing multiplatform community-based journalism that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. Futuro Media works in the public interest – informing and educating the public about compelling narratives, real lives and important stories that are often overlooked by mainstream media. In addition to its work in the public interest, The Futuro is dedicated to nurturing the next generation of multicultural journalists in America and engaging communities across America in public discourse.
The Executive Director (ED) will spearhead development efforts, and oversee the day-to-day administrative and financial functions of the organization. ED will be charged with building the development function by driving fundraising efforts through corporate, foundation and government sources, as well as Board relations and Board development. The ideal ED has achieved success as a non-profit fundraising professional and is ready to assume responsibility for the overall operation of a young and innovative nonprofit. The Executive Director will lead the fundraising plan to raise approximately three million dollars in new operating revenue over the next 2 years, with a particular focus on growing both the foundation and base of individual donors. The ED will report directly to and work closely with the President/CEO on setting and executing development strategy, managing The Futuro team, building operational capacity and growing the earned income aspect of the organization..
This individual must be comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, have senior level administrative experience in a media, broadcasting or digital media setting and/or nonprofit fundraising environment in New York, possess an exceptionally high level of personal responsibility and be equally comfortable managing back-end processes, financial and organizational administration, as engaging with donors and creating strategy and short/long range plans in a high paced environment.
• Work with senior staff to define strategies for program direction;
• Build and work with Board to create and implement an annual fundraising strategy and plan for achieving fundraising goals;
• Maintain strong relationships with existing individual corporate, government, and foundation donors;
• Engage strategically in partnership management with corporate, university and other partners;
• Research potential new funding sources, developing relationships, and creating new funding streams;
• Oversee the implementation of a communications/public relations plan.
• Oversee finance and accounting systems and processes consistent with the needs of a philanthropic, non-profit organization, ensuring that The Futuro Media Group complies with relevant regulations and has access to data and information needed for effective decision-making;
• Oversee design and management of human resources systems and processes implementing best practices in staff development, benefits, compensation, etc;
• Designs and manage reports and tracking for the grant-making function;
• Manages office operations, including the purchase and maintenance of office equipment, leases etc.
• Bachelors degree required
• 6-8 years experience preferred
• Strong relationship builder and keen understanding of what motivates others
• Ability to build strong relationships with various types of people and to motivate superiors, peer and direct reports to meet ambitious goals
• Strong, strategic thinker and exceptional goal orientation
• Excellent detail orientation and organization skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills: can speak compellingly about the organization, its mission and its goals and has a mature presence
• Comfortable and excited about managing in an entrepreneurial setting: ability to manage people and the back-office to ensure an efficient operation
• Ability to operate with purpose, urgency and accuracy in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• High level of personal responsibility and drive towards exceedingly ambitious goals
• Knowledge of Raisers Edge, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred, but not required
• Knowledge of Spanish preferred, but not required.
• Experience in a media company, e.g. television, radio, film in a non-profit setting preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
Cover letter stating qualifications, resume, references and salary history must be submitted by the deadline of March 15, 2012 to be considered for this position. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) via email with the subject “Executive Director” to The Futuro’s strategic consultant overseeing this search: [email protected] Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please. The Futuro Media Group is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and background to apply.