Producer of Special Projects
Job Title: FSM Producer of Special Projects
Reports To: Program Director
Supervises: Production Coordinator
The Producer of Special Projects has an important and wide-reaching role in the exciting world of Free Spirit Media. This dynamic individual must be part producer (plus possibly shooter-editor), part administrator, part visionary, part coach and mentor, and part entrepreneur. To be successful, the Producer of Special Projects needs to be a team player, who can maintain focus, perspective, attitude, and attention to detail in a fast-paced, creative, and youth-driven environment.
The Producer of Special Projects will take on the management and expansion of FSM Productions, the social entrepreneurial and earned income strategy of Free Spirit Media. FSM Productions engages advanced FSM youth in the production of high-quality projects for paying clients and strategic partners.
Free Spirit Media (FSM) is a non-profit organization based in Chicago that provides education, access, and media production opportunities to underserved urban youth. FSM partners with schools and organizations to provide project-based learning experiences to high-school aged youth. Participants develop creative, technical, and communications skills as they produce a variety of digital media projects. Please see www.freespiritmedia.org for more information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage all client relationships, including fielding project requests, prepping proposals, executing contracts, scheduling projects, managing budgets, and managing invoicing and payments
- Manage pre-production, production, and post production of projects, including overseeing shooting and editing, and engaging youth to participate at all points in the production
- Ensure deliverables are on time, on budget, and meet client expectations
- Create a strategy for marketing and promoting FSM Productions to increase visibility and client base
- Develop and incorporate a framework for youth engagement that establishes FSM Productions as part of FSM’s strategy of providing professional pathways for our youth
- Collaborate with Program Director and Program Manager to engage and collaborate with staff, current students, and alumni during productions
- Manage FSM’s summer internship program, Flash Forward, for advanced high school and college-aged FSM participants, which includes recruiting media industry internship placements, recruiting youth interns, interviewing and placing interns, and managing interns and placement throughout the summer
- Represent FSM in external/outreach settings, including with clients, other organizations, media industry professionals at conferences, workshops, etc.
- Track and submit student hours for payroll and program tracking
- Participate in organizational youth evaluation processes, as appropriate
Qualifications, Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree (BA) or greater from a four-year college or university
- 5+ years of experience professionally producing media (film, television, commercials, industrials, journalism, etc.) at the Associate Producer level or above
- 2+ years of coaching and supervising staff
- Advanced shooting, editing, lighting, and audio skills, preferably with experience on Final Cut Pro
- Passionate about urban youth and their education, film and media, and inspiring youth voice and vision
- Experience or interest in engaging and working with high-school and college-aged youth
- Ability to communicate and relate well with young people
- Excellent people skills working in a diverse environment
- Excellent organizational abilities and capacity to manage multiple projects
- A track record of innovation, creativity, problem-solving, and initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and high level of computer literacy
This position could be a full time or part time position, depending on qualifications, experience, and availability. Evening and weekend hours required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please e-mail resume, cover letter, link to online reel/portfolio, and salary history to:
Melissa Bryan, Program Director
Please no phone calls.