Director of Development and Communications
The Development and Communications Director will lead the Prometheus team working to secure adequate funding for the expansion of community radio. This position will have primary responsibility for creating and implementing a plan to diversify funding for Prometheus Radio Project through foundation and grassroots funding streams. The Development Director will also work to educate the funding field at large about the impact of community media to ensure funding opportunities for emerging stations.
The Development Director will share the vision of community controlled media and the impact of our work in communities. For this job, a commitment to our mission, strong communication and relationship skills, and self-directed tenacity are crucial. We prioritize these even more highly than formal development experience. If you believe in the value of communities owning their own media and you can communicate your beliefs effectively in writing and in conversation, we want you to apply!
- Build on existing relationships with foundation supporters.
- Create and conduct funder briefings to educate the field.
- Identify, meet with, and secure new foundation funders.
- Track and submit grant reports with support from the Operations Director.
Grassroots Fundraising Campaign
- Produce and distribute monthly newsletter.
- Support the creation and distribution of 3 fundraising appeals per year.
- Develop additional means to engage and sustain grassroots donors
Major Donor Campaign
- Identify and cultivate a pool of high level donors.
- Ensure frequent updates in areas of interest.
- Produce briefings for donors.
- Ensure consistent, accurate, and compelling web presence
- Support press strategy and implementation with press team
- Track press contacts
- Maintain donor files – electronic and paper.
- Acknowledge donations.
- Update website with materials targeted for individual donors.
- Staff the Fundraising Committee of the Board
- Fulfilling associated duties that all collective members share related to collective governance, office work, professional development and collective learning.
- Supervise development interns and volunteers
- Commitment to the mission of Prometheus and solid understanding of the media justice movement.
- Great people skills needed, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with large and small donors
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff, board members, volunteers and interns
- Strong writing and presentation skills required.
- Travel in the northeast and some cross country travel required.
- Demonstrated experience with proposal writing and e-newsletter creation preferred.
- Graphic design skills– Power point,
Photoshop and InDesign preferred.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Experience using social networks to build lists preferred.
- Comfortable using databases and spreadsheets required.
- Must live or be willing to relocate to the Philadelphia area.
- Prometheus has a collective staff structure and all paid staff receive the same hourly rate of compensation. The salary for this position is $35,000 plus medical benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
We are committed to developing leaders from communities historically disenfranchised from media access, including the poor and working class, people of color, immigrants, women, LGBT and queer people, and seniors and youth. People from these groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Prometheus considers applicants for positions without regard to any legally protected status.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, a two writing samples and one sample of marketing/graphic design/web work to [email protected], and include "Development and Communications Director" in the subject line.
The application deadline is Thursday, July 26, 2012 with interviews scheduled for the week of August 6.