International Film Seminars, Inc./The Flaherty is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating meeting grounds for the rigorous development and exchange of ideas. Through the annual Robert Flaherty Film Seminar, the biannual Flaherty NYC film screening series, and the traveling Flaherty On the Road series, the organization brings together curators, media artists, film professionals and audiences in an immersive setting to engage in critical conversations around contemporary politics, culture, aesthetics and the moving image. The Flaherty Seminar, founded in 1955, is the longest-running film screening event in North America and has introduced the works of hundreds of filmmakers, including DA Pennebaker, Agnes Varda, Satyajit Ray, Natalia Almada, Paul Chan, Charles Burnett and Lisandro Alonso.
The Flaherty is seeking an Executive Director. Working closely with the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director will implement the vision of the organization, raise operating funds, oversee its financial management and programs and manage its New York City office and staff. The Executive Director position requires a unique combination of organizational development, relationship and coalition building, management, fundraising and programmatic skills to effectively produce and develop the annual Seminar and related activities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Plan, execute and manage fundraising campaigns to support all yearly operations;
- Work with Board of Trustees to oversee selection process of annual Flaherty Seminar and Flaherty NYC curators;
- Supervise all arrangements for domestic and potential international Flaherty Seminars, including but not limited to: advertising and press, outreach, registration, fellowship programs, guest travel, coordinating and contracting facilities, technical needs, booking and shipment of films/tapes;
- Facilitation and management of organizational strategic planning process;
- Develop and oversee organizational marketing and outreach efforts;
- Represent the organization at media events and participate in professional activities that serve to raise the profile of the organization;
- Supervise the administrative operations of the organization, including management of physical assets and intellectual property;
- Coordinate and facilitate activities and meetings of the Board of Trustees and related committees.
- Minimum 5 years experience in non-profit management and leadership;
- Proven track record in fundraising and grant writing;
- Experience in film/media program development, or in related fields;
- Staff management and supervision experience;
- Excellent time-management skills and attention to detail;
- Superior writing and communication skills.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full health benefits. This is a full-time position. Position open until filled. The Flaherty is committed to a diverse workplace and is an enthusiastic equal opportunity employer.
Please email cover letter, resume, and two professional references, along with salary requirements to: Ann Michel, Chair, Flaherty Search Committee, [email protected]. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.