Studio Facilitator and Producer
Manhattan Neighborhood Network’s newly renovated El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center opened in early 2012. Located in East Harlem, the Center is dedicated to training community producers and youth in television, video, audio and other media; providing access to production equipment and services; and assisting in the production of programming that gives voice to grassroots communities, ideas, and concerns. The facility includes three state-of-the-art HD television broadcast studios, multiple editing suites, and classrooms.
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse staff consists of a ten-person team working in a collaborative environment. MNN is seeking a Studio Facilitator & Producer to be responsible for the studios, serve as producer on assigned productions and teach classes. Reporting directly to the Firehouse Director, s/he will be involved with overall planning to further the MNN El Barrio Firehouse strategic and operational goals. The position requires evening and weekend work hours
The Studio Facilitator & Producer oversees the day-to-day studio activities, maintains equipment and updates the inventory database, manages timelines, resources, and schedules for all projects.
- Ensures that studios and equipment are well maintained and operational at all times.
- Acts as liaison to Engineering and IT staff to ensure proper maintenance.
- Ensures compliance of technical specifications and standards.
- Maintains familiarity with professional standards and current trends in field.
- Monitors equipment and software and advises of needed maintenance and upgrades.
- Facilitates studio productions including live and live-to-tape multi-camera productions.
- Directs single and multi-camera field productions.
- Manages production crews of various sizes and freelancers when needed.
- Directs and produces designated news and special Firehouse productions.
- Edits or oversees editing of programs as needed.
- Coordinates activities with other staff to achieve highest quality finished product.
- Teaches studio workshops and assist producers to complete certifications.
- Assists in the development and implementation of seminars/classes.
- Assists in the creation and development of training materials and supplies.
- Keeps staff up-to-date on new studio technologies and procedures.
- Advises MNN producers in educational, technical and creative goals for programming.
Required Education and Experience
- Commitment to the mission and goals of community media.
- Bachelor's degree in broadcasting, radio/TV communications, or related field, or equivalent training in production techniques essential.
- Minimum of four years experience in television studio production and direction, including HD production, green screen and CG and motion graphic systems experience.
- Teaching and curriculum development experience.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs, carry out frequent reaching, stretching, twisting and bending. Standing for up to two hours at a time and sitting for extended periods.
- Excellent sight, hearing and manual dexterity are also required to operate equipment.
- A valid New York State driver’s license and good driving record is required.
- Bi-lingual, Spanish/English a plus.
Other Job Requirements
- Track record of achieving excellence in the finished product.
- Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively.
- Proven time management skills, ability to meet deadlines and deliver projects on schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a production crew across multiple productions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills: ability to organize and present ideas clearly and persuasively, and communicate effectively with a diverse public.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain composure under stressful situations and make clear judgment calls.
- Initiative in solving problems and capacity to troubleshoot and make recommendations.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Application deadline is September 30, 2012. Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In cover letter, please address the following: 1) Why are you interested in the position? 2) What contribution would you seek to make to the MNN El Barrio Firehouse as Studio Facilitator & Producer? Nonresponsive applications will not be considered. Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. MNN will contact candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is dedicated to the exercise of First Amendment rights through moving image media and creates opportunities for communication, education, artistic expression and other non-commercial uses of video facilities. Founded in 1992, MNN administers four Public Access channels on the RCN, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS cable systems reaching 620,000 Manhattan cable subscribers, streams programs on the Internet reaching global audiences, and offers training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become certified producers for MNN. Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.