Production and Operations Manager: CounterPULSE
CounterPULSE provides space and resources for emerging artists and cultural innovators, serving as an incubator for the creation of socially relevant, community-based art and culture. CounterPULSE acts as a catalyst for art and action; creating a forum for the open exchange of art and ideas, sparking transformation in our communities and our society. We work towards a world that celebrates diversity of race, class, cultural heritage, artistic expression, ability, gender identity & sexual orientation.
CounterPULSE is one of San Francisco’s leading small venues for cutting-edge, interdisciplinary performance, hosting more than 300 public events each year, ranging from dance, theater and music performances to classes and discussions. For more information about CounterPULSE, please visit counterpulse.org.
The Production & Operations Manager oversees the operation of our productions, our office, and our theater. This position reports to the Program Director and supervises the Technical Director. While our ideal candidate will possess both administrative and technical theater expertise, we also encourage applicants who may have experience in one area, and a passion to learn in the other area. Our ultimate goal is to hire a team player who is passionate about dance, theater, experimental performance and the power of the arts to change our world for the better.
- Excellent communication skills with staff, artists, and with a diverse public
- Extraordinary organizational ability, and the passion to bring order to information and to the physical environment
- Basic knowledge of lighting, set, sound, and video design; experience and eagerness to work with and maintain theater infrastructureincluding lighting, sound, carpentry and rigging
- Knowledge and/or eagerness to gain knowledge regarding building infrastructure and maintenance; including plumbing, heating/cooling and electrical systems
- Strong ability to work independently and manage staff and volunteer labor
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively, maintaining a sense of humor and openness to unexpected situations
- Proficiency in Macintosh OS, Microsoft Excel, and Filemaker Pro; familiarity with onlinecollaboration toolsincluding Google Apps (Gmail, Google Driveand Google Calendar); basic understanding of office networkingand hardware configuration
- Reliable access to telephone and email, and the ability to respond promptly in emergency situations
The Production & Operations Manager is responsible for managing the general operations of the organization, coordinating all contracting and technical aspects of CounterPULSE’s programming, and managing the ongoing upkeep and improvement of the facility with the support of the Technical Director.
- Work collaboratively with staff and board to envision the artistic future of CounterPULSE and design innovative new programs in response to a changing landscape. Participate in the artist selection process for certain CounterPULSE programs, and provide provide feedback on technical aspects of proposals.
- Anticipate the technical needs of all productions, schedule and book technical rehearsals in consultation with artists/producers.
- Anticipate the personnel needs of all productions, andwork with Program Director to hire, orient, contract, and supervise alltechnicians.
- Provide comprehensive management for all CounterPULSE productions:
- Work with Communications and Development Staff to timeline and calendar all productions.
- Schedule and lead all production meetings.
- Manage orientation, contracting, and payment to artists, vendors and consultants.
- Bring a creative eye to problem-solving design issues.
- Provide leadership throughout tech week.
- Provide support to the Program Director as needed, including processing artist applications and coordinating review and updates to organizational and informational materials.
Theater and Facilities:
- Manage the fast-paced and complex schedule of CounterPULSE’s studio theater, including all rehearsals and events.
- Field inquires regarding space rental and gallery use, create and execute contracts, send invoices, collect payment & liaise with artists.
- Orient clients and event producers to the theater, providing clear instructions on technical capabilities and organizational policies. Act as consultant to all clients and their crews providing oversight with respect to safety and feasibility.
- Work with Technical Director to ensure the readiness of the theater for scheduled activities, and provide basic technical support to artists during rehearsals that fall within office hours.
- Work with Program Director to develop, track, and manage an annual budget for theater and facilities costs. With Technical Director, oversee costing, purchase, and delivery of all supplies and equipment.
- Assess the need for major improvements to the theater and the facility as a whole, work with the development team to identify funding opportunities and contribute to the application process, supervise Technical Director on all aspects of projects.
Operations, Finance & HR:
- Establish and maintain innovative and efficient administrative systems and operations for theorganization.
- Maintain knowledge and inform staff of HR policies and procedures, manage and process payroll and benefits (health & commuter checks), file payroll tax forms.
- Maintain insurance and communicate with brokers.
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable for Finance Director; double check all paperwork, collect additional information where needed, communicate regarding payment with vendors and customers, conduct deposits of cash and checks.
- Oversee information technology systems in partnership with Technical Director and Communications and Engagement Director, support the database transition from Filemaker Pro to Salesforce and troubleshoot general IT issues.
- Full-time, salaried & exempt position: 40hrs/week, $30-33K, DOE
- 50% Health and Dental Benefits
- Commuter Check available, pre-tax
- Free admission to events at CounterPULSE and other Bay Area theaters
- 5 hours/month free rehearsal space
- Generous holiday, vacation & sick leave policy
- Flexible schedule, dependent on productions (some weekend/evening hours required)
- Ongoing training, networking and professional development opportunities
Position open until filled.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are excited about becoming a member of our friendly, creative and dynamic team please combine your cover letter and resume into one document, titled “firstname_lastname_PM.doc” or “firstname_lastname_PM.pdf” and email the attachment to [email protected] attention: Julie Phelps, Program Director. Please make sure that your cover letter addresses why you want to work at CounterPULSE, and how your prior experience is relevant to this position. The most successful applicants will have reviewed our Theory of Change and will be able to articulate how they see themselves fitting into our organization’s vision.